Job Title: Proposal Writer
Sector: Youth & Gender, Leadership, Advocacy, Training, Education
Employment Category: consultancy for 10 -15 days starting as soon as possible
Work Station: Remote | Home | Virtual
Closing Date: Applications close on 15th December 17:00 GMT
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within one week of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful
Afresist is a nonprofit policy organization whose mission is to develop alternative leadership models, train the next generation of Pan-Africanists and promote public policies based on the principles of Pan-Africanism.
Afresist runs multiple projects including but not limited to;
- Afresist Youth Leadership Program (AYLP), a training programme which provides participants with an experience that will equip them with skills, knowledge and network for Pan-African leadership
- Nala Feminist Collective (NALAFEM) which is a Pan-African group of 17 feminists with a mission to foster, enable and mobilize young women from Africa and Diaspora. Nalafem is guided by the Africa Young Women Beijing+25 Manifesto targeting the political, digital and offline spaces.
- Afresist also convenes the InterGenerational Africa Forum (IGAF) which is a platform for intergenerational dialogues and action
- Among other projects including the establishment of a physical space/hub in Nairobi for youth activism and training.
Scope of work:
We are seeking skilled Proposal Writers to package Afresist multi-projects engagements preferably with knowledge of Kenya’s landscape where Afresist is based.
The Proposal Writer will lead the writing of a competitive and compelling proposal working closely with the Afresist Leadership. Based on inputs from the leadership, the Writer will be responsible for writing the technical narrative, accurately capturing the technical approach and project design and components including the budget proposal/costing of the proposal.
Shortlisted candidates will have demonstrated experience writing winning proposals preferably in the fields of education, entrepreneurship, gender and youth
Consultant Responsibilities & Duties:
- Gather and analyze all the available Afresist assessments and information concerning context/problem analysis to ensure required data is readily available
- Conduct country (Kenya), technical, and industry research and analysis, including as appropriate in support of proposal writing
- Organise remotely at least 4 proposal planning & ideation meetings with Afresist leadership to develop outline and proposal and refine it till satisfaction
- Coordinate and seek inputs from Afresist leadership to determine proposal concepts and technical approach and logical framework
- Draft accurate, responsive, compelling text for Afresist project including background/context, executive summary, technical approach overview, activity components, technical annexes, budgeting etc. as assigned
- Write first narrative draft in accordance with project design, agreed and articulated during brainstorming and the design workshop with theAfresist team
- Produce a second draft incorporating Afresist leadership’ feedback;
- Ensure feedback is coherently integrated into the final draft in alignment with set requirements
- Regularly communicate progress to Afresist leadership
- Incorporates win themes and overall technical approach into writing
- Work with Afresist Leadership to ensure that all relevant proposal content aligns with Afresist organizational values
- Work with the Afresist designers to develop maps and graphics as needed
- Collaborate with Afresist Leadership to continuously improve and streamline proposal development process
- Support the development and maintenance of Afresist’s proposal content library and related documentation to include capability statements, research papers, past performances, management plans, and other related proposal content.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience working with international NGOs
- Experience with proposal writing within one or more of the sectors outlined above
- Familiarity with relevant technical areas, including, but not limited to: youth activism, advocacy, development, gender, education etc
- Past performance as the main writer for at least two (2) successful funding proposals
- Strong ability to manage time and meet established deadlines
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and follow-through
- Flexibility and capacity to collaborate across teams
- Fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and demonstrated ability to write and produce documents (proposals, reports) under tight deadlines
The initial contract will cover one proposal writing project to completion. Terms will be negotiated based on the project and the candidate. The contract will be eligible for renewal based on performance and the needs of the organization.
Applications are being accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis